Zuffenhausen is an urban district in the northern suburbs of Stuttgart, the capital of the German state of Baden-Württemberg. It consists mainly of the formerly independent city of Zuffenhausen. The Zuffenhausen district has an area of 1,200 hectares and 35,568 inhabitants (2009). The oldest surviving mention of Zuffenhausen is by Pope Innocent III on 18 May 1204. Zuffenhausen was proclaimed a city in 1907.