French Photographer Ludwig Favre's beautiful photographs capture the beauty of Copenhagen's Grundtvig's Church--one of the most famous churches in Denmark, and a rare case of expressionist church design. Built between 1927 and 1940, the church was designed by architect Peder Vilhelm Jensen-Klint, who found inspiration from several different architectural movements, construction methods, and materials. His final layout merged the contemporary geometric kinds of Brick Expressionism--a specific variant of expressionist architecture which uses bricks or tiles--together with all the classical appreciation of Gothic architecture's beauty.
Expressionist architecture paralleled the rise of the European expressionist art movement during the start of the 20th century. In the case of Grundtvig's Church, Favre was drawn to it is impressive interior, that comprises roughly 6 million yellow bricks--a standard Danish building material at the time. In common Gothic style, the two long, narrow aisles allow space for a congregation of 1,800. The flooring is dwarfed by incredible vertical columns that rise to pointed arches that meet the high vaulted ceiling.
Space's lack of ornamentation concentrates attention on the church's construction, lighting, as well as the pick objects included within the space, like the cylindrical chandeliers. Favre's photographs figure out how to capture the church's minimalist design, the contrasting hot and cool light inside the area, as well as its immense scale.