The Earth has so much to offer. Whether you’re in the great white north, the fear-inducing Australia or somewhere deep in the Amazon, the possibilities for greatness are endless. Between animals, the landscape and the cultures and people we truly do live on one fascinating planet. Here are some of the most breathtaking photos of these fascinations from around the world and throughout history.
1. Wheat and lavender.
2. This 1938 Phantom Corsair.
3. The Mesopotamian Marshes of Iraq, 1974.
Prior to Saddam Hussein draining the marshes as a punishment to the Arabs of the region.
4. Rainbow and lightning.
5. Being chased by a typhoon.
6. June 17, 1940 vs the 2000s.
German troops gathered in front of the Palace of the Dukes of Burgundy.
7. The curtain from the apartment of a smoker after being put in soap water.
8. This 27 000 year-old hand print.
9. An infrared photo of a garden.
10. A picture of the Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, pictured with a city for scale.
11. A water bridge in Wales.
12. A six foot seven male red kangaroo.
13. After being struck by lightning.
14. This city in Mexico.
via reddit/u/CCPearson| National Geographic | Oscar Ruiz
15. Cornea transplant.
16. A homeless mans dwelling in downtown Los Angeles.
17. Oil dripped onto this rock and froze in place.
18. Reading and waiting, decades apart.
19. Wooly mammoth tusk being unearthed.
20. Earth from Mars and Mars from Earth.
21. The Ili pika spotted last summer in China, it had not been seen for over 20 years prior.
22. This huge cactus.
23. Blue-ringed octopus.
24. An armadillo in defensive mode.
via Business Insider | AP
25. This honeycomb perfection.